Friday, June 4, 2010

More about Julien's first day...

June 4, 2009 is Julien's birthday. He was born at 6:25pm and we left the hospital around 5pm on Friday June 5. Here are pictures from our departure:


Julien is packed in the car seat. Note that he not only has the infant head insert, but *also* an additional head insert for newborn babies! He's looking at us, ready for action!

As I take the carseat, ready to put it in our car, I was probably still amazed that the hospital was actually allowing us to leave with our baby. We loaded ourselves into the car and drove towards our hotel... until we realized that we were hungry, so we turned around and drove to El Pollo Loco.

Sitting at our table at El Pollo Loco. Several diners gave us their well wishes for our new baby! Although I'm photographed with a snell phone by my ear, I have no idea with whom I'm talking!

Baby tootsies - in fact, newborn tootsies. Note how well our baby can flex and separate his toes from one another. This is what I'm trying to now do, after 5 years of Pilates. I'm still not as able to do it as Julien could at just 1 day old!

Later that night, in our hotel. We gave Julien his first bath in the sink, to give him a fresh start.
We didn't have a bed or crib for him, but my friends John and Aimee Ricci gave us a *lot* of suggestions; they have 2 young children. They explained about how a towel could be good padding as well as a good insert so that Julien wouldn't feel inclined to roll or turn over. It was important that he sleep on his back. And the drawer was right by our bed so that we could respond to any of his possible needs.
That first night together, I remember waking up at least twice to change his diaper and reswaddle him. The following morning, we drove home... the journey had already begun and was only just continuing...
Thanks for being part of Julien's first year!
love,
Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment