Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Upside Down

Hi everybody!
I know that "Upside Down" is a song by both Donna Summer and Yo La Tengo / Daniel Johnston, but I really am talking about the art of being upside down. My parents learned about the idea of babies liking being upside down from Sam and his parents Jean and Trey. They allegedly have a picture of Sam being upside down at the age of 4 months, and I think their goal was to turn me upside down before I was 4 months old. But I don't know if there are pictures...
I have a lot of memories of my parents putting me upside down, usually with them holding onto my ankles and calves. And even though I quite enjoy it (just like the crazy fast baby swings - yet another future blog post), I don't know what the big deal is. If we all could walk on our hands, then we could all be upside down!
Here are some pictures of my parents putting me upside down when we were in France in April. They were really obsessed with getting pictures of me being upside down when we were there. Can we just say the word... Whackjob???

Here I am in Lacoste, in Provence. Lacoste is famous for having a college connected with the Savannah design school of Savannah, Georgia! They're famous for also being associated with the Marquis de Sade. Oh the irony...

Here we are in Goult, at the cafe near the house we rented.

None of the other patrons seemed disturbed that I was upside down... but then again, I quite liked it.

Here I am upside down in the main parking lot of Goult, which is also quite near the house (even closer than the cafe).

Lastly here I am at the Cafe Breizh, a Breton crepe-specialty cafe in Paris, in or near Le Marais. You may notice by the wedding bands that in this picture, it's Mommy putting me upside down!
So one huge side benefit of my love of being upside down is that Daddy now tries to be upside down more than ever in his Pilates class; in fact I heard that today (10/5/10), he was upside during Pilates and was very happy! I would be very happy to hold Daddy upside down every day - I could hold him upside down for hours, when I'm not sleeping, eating, or taking a nap.
I can also tell you that DOJ even went on some crazy roller coaster at that State Fair in Massachusetts on Labor Day so that he and Michael Melcher could be upside down. I'm telling you, my parents are Whackjobs! Hey, that's a fun word...
Hmmm, I wonder if Ruby likes to be upside down...
Love,
Julien the Baby

No comments:

Post a Comment